The Importance of Networking
With the digital and technology industries moving at such a fast pace, as a contract professional, the importance of having a strong network of contacts cannot be over looked. In the digital economy where "who you know" will always count, making solid connections with colleagues and clients is vital.
Building new working relationships as well as nurturing and developing existing ones to the mutual benefit of both parties is invaluable and will go a long way to helping you secure your next contract. Many contractors may not apply for jobs online but instead will rely on their network to secure their next contract.
Tips for networking success:
- Regularly attend industry events, whether they are conferences, workshops or networking events.
- Attend these events alone. This will reduce the temptation to only talk to colleagues or friends and will ensure you interact with those you don't know.
- Sell yourself confidently without appearing arrogant and let your experience and skills do the talking.
- Be bold in asking for business cards or contact details. Chances are the people you meet will be more than happy to give it to you to strengthen their own professional relationships.
- Make sure you follow up on these introductions - phone call, email or LinkedIn.
- Use tools such as LinkedIn to stay in touch and develop your relationships. It's a great way to reconnect with past colleagues and bosses also.
- The key to online networking success is to keep your profile current and up to date. Mention whether you are looking for opportunities if appropriate making it easy for people to see your current status.
Return to our contractor information page.
As well as networking you can take a look at our current list of contract vacancies.
For further tips on networking or to find out about upcoming events contact our team.