A journey through the UK’s digital clusters
Date posted: 5th Mar 2015
With the UK having the fastest growing economy in the G7, it is the digital industry that finds itself at the heart of this growth story.
Digital clusters across the UK are thriving and the companies within them are pivotal to the UK economy. Each has their own DNA and companies within the digital sector are disrupting traditional industries, forging innovative new sectors and creating new ways of doing business.
Tech Nation shines the spotlight on the skills and expertise within these clusters and we’ve highlighted a number of key areas from the report.
- 1.46 million people employed in digital technology companies
- 5.4% digital employment growth forecast by 2020 (higher than total job growth)
- London has the largest volume of digital companies and workers with over 250,000 digital professionals working within the capital’s 12 boroughs.
- Almost three-quarters (74%) of digital companies are based outside London.
- The formation rate for digital companies is growing rapidly. The report shows 53% more digital companies in 2013 than 2010 with Bournemouth (200%) and Liverpool (119%) seeing a particularly steep rise.
- Companies operating in clusters are experiencing a higher rate of revenue growth compared to the national average - 90% expect revenue growth next year
- The focus on certain capabilities by local education institutes has led to sector specialism in certain clusters.
Click here to download the full report.